UCS Dilemma In AutoCAD it is possible to configure custom USC (User coordinate systems). These settings can be named and save within a drawing. Sometimes it is necessary to set up common UCS settings in multiple drawings. AutoCAD does not have a documented way to export or copy UCS settings to use in another drawing. What to do? There are two solutions.
Solution 1 – “Save As” Method
- Once you have your UCS configured in the source drawing, save the file.
- Save-As another drawing.
- Delete all objects in the drawing.
- The UCS settigs will remain.
This method works, but you must plan in advance, which is not always possible.
Solution 2 – Copy a Viewport
AutoCAD allows you to copy and paste view ports from paper space of one drawing to paper space of another drawing. Follow these steps to copy exact UCS configurations.
- In paper pace source drawing create a new view port. Set your named UCS to be active.
- Select, right-click, copy.
- In paper space of destination drawing, right-click, paste.
- The pasted view port will be turned OFF. To turn it on, change this setting in properties.
- The pasted view port now contains the source USC, but it is “unnamed”
- Go to UCS manager and rename it to the same name as original drawing.
Write me if you have questions.